Today’s recipe comes courtesy of sister Francine, who keeps us on our toes with her culinary creativity.
It’s a recipe for gluten-free shortbread cookies, courtesy of The Conscious Plant Kitchen. She recommends doubling the recipe but here is the singular version:
Vegan Almond flour Shortbread cookie (single recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or if you want to live dangerously and go non-vegan, substitute with butter)
- Zest of one orange (optional)*
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract (optional)*
- Sprinkles optional
* She adds both orange zest and vanilla extract. She did test it with almond extract, but found the vanilla more suitable.
More notes from Francine:
“Mix all ingredients together (I sift the flour although it doesn’t call for it). Shape into balls (about 1 tsp); fork print (dip fork in ice water as dough tends to stick). Cookies will maintain shape without spreading so you can fit a lot on a tray. Bake 10 – 12 minutes at 325 degrees (I use convection at 325) or until light golden color. The cookies are a little chewy but pretty yummy! Enjoy!”
I am planning to give these a try. How about you?